Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2020

3 October 2019 Visiting Rapidan

It was our last day in Shenandoah.  Our plans for long hikes vanished with a fever and other issues brought on by a virus that nearly shut me down.  Ali made the suggestion of the mild hike to Camp Rapidan as our last journey here.  Rapidan was the first presidential retreat built by President Hoover.  It was in use for only a short period of time before Camp David was commissioned.





We spotted hepatica leaves at the edge of the trail.


Rattlesnake plantain with no sign of a spike from blooming.  There were at least a half dozen of these orchids gathered in the area.


This visit we took the tour.  I was in such bad shape I thought I fit right in with the crowd.  Ali looked like a youth amongst this group.  The tour host was knowledgeable, but the official information displays removed much of the feel for what the building was like when it was in use.  If only I didn't feel so old...


It was a slow walk back, but I made it.  We stopped at an overlook where we had watched sunset before.  It was strange.  I've never been concerned about being on trails and the edges of rocks, but this evening I was tentative and concerned until I settled in on the rocks.


It was amazing!

By our cabin, there was a walking stick on the handrail when we returned.


No comments: