Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

14 July 2019 Missile Site Hike


Snow was still visible on the peaks as the last leg of my flight made its way to Spokane.

With a Sunday arrival and a lot of daylight, I was hoping for a long walk in the heat.  An old Atlas missle site seemed a great plan for the afternoon.  The wilflowers were still strong as summer moved forward.






The actual missile site is now private property, but some remains of structures supporting the launch site are still used by the military with occasional glimpses of some areas available in the distance.  The of these missile sites are used by private individuals for storage.  They also have a following among preppers.



A chipping sparrow keeping a watchful eye while I find a cache.



I had spotted a few logs with another cacher's name from earlier in the day.  I was walking to the cache hidden near the nice view below and spotted someone approaching.  It was a really hot day on the trail and this was the first person I met on the trail.  He passed by despite my holding the iPhone and a gps so I assumed he didn't want to meet other cachers.  His caching name was on this remotest cache.



It was a tremendous, hot afternoon and a great time in Pend Oreille County.

No comments: