Pages

Monday, November 18, 2019

18 July 2019 Indian Canyon

I was flying home on the red-eye so I had time to spend on the trails until sunset.  Indian Canyon put me close to a place to refuel the renal car and make an easy drive to the airport.  It was also a new place to explore.

Before I reached the park I was able to follow a few quail and their young as they strolled down the middle of the road.  They usually flee at the site of a human, but this group was persistent.  They were in constant movement down the road so I was trying to get close enough and take a picture while they ran ahead.  Eventually they left the road, and I moved on.


Indian Canyon had a few nice rock formations and a number of good cache hides.


For the second time on this trip I was really happy to spot a large number of mariposa lilies blooming along the trail.




Falling in a stream after checking out of the hotel and before a flight is not a good idea.  I was quite careful during the stream crossing.


No matter how long I hike, I'm a straight line person.  Deciding since the car was on the other side of the ravine I should go into the ravine to get to the other side was probably not the best idea.


The 'trail' down was treacherous, but at least I got to see this waterfall.  It is probably awesome during the wetter months.  I was really surprised there was any flow.


I found a spot where it was possible to cross the deeper stream.  Unfortunately the other side of the crossing was a sheer climb out of the ravine.  I retraced my steps and made a much longer walk back before heading to the airport.

No comments: