Pages

Sunday, January 08, 2023

20 March 2022 Stopping in Marrieta

After a brief stop home on my return from New York, I was on my way North Carolina. I made a stop for a break and a few geocaches in Marietta. An early stop was mound cemetery which has a very pronounced Native American burial ground.
The mound is surrounded by the graves of thirty-nine Revolutionary War veterans who were interestingly given land grants to the land previously held by the Native Americans.
Marietta and river boats almost go hand-in-hand. My geocaching journey brought me the the Ohio River Museum. The museum was closed but the grounds are accessible. The pilot house from the long-ago sunken Tell City Riverboat is a prominent attraction on the way to the river. It likely never looked as good in its working days as it does now.
The W.P. Snyder Jr. was sitting in the water prepped and ready to be visited.
It's a wide, old river with a lot of stories to tell. Time to head for Virginia.

No comments: