Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

28 June 2009 One Sunday - Three Counties - Three State Parks







We were getting tired, but were determined to finish this series. We hoped to finish with GG by the end of the week so today was three counties and three parks. Quail Hollow marked our starting point. Much of the park is a sanctuary to poison ivy so I was happy to see this one come and go. At least a few of the caches were in the wetlands and wooded section of the park. That area is by far the park's best. We enjoyed a couple finds on the trail there.

We left Quail Hollow and made our way to Guilford. Guilford has little land on the outer edge of a lake and doesn't give many opportunities for caches. The 19-park challenge cache could almost be retrieved from the car, but there is a nice little walk in the woods from that parking are and one of the caches in the 5-park series was back there. The last cache we retrieved was near a pedestrian bridge alongside the backside of the dam. It was a nice hide at a place we've never visited in this park. We left the kayak cache for a different day. We've been told, it's a couple of hours of kayaking by persons that are better with paddles than we are. I hope we get the time to return for that before the end of the summer.

Our last stop of the day was at Mosquito Creek. I never had a high opinion of this place when I boated and fished. It was always overrun with too many boats at the docks and too much horsepower on the water. In recent years visiting this place on foot to geocache has given me a different view of what I now consider to be a nice, pleasant park. My memories of this night though are dim. By the time we arrived here, a week of travel and two days of hard caching had wiped me out. Ali was driving and hunting caches by this point. I merely walked along beside her. I remember the early stages of the walk. We had never neen here before and the start of the trail and woods looked nice.

No comments: