Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

13 August 2020 Close Call

 Ali was back east with her family.  These are times when I concentrate on yard work.  The plan for this trip was to shrink down the pile of trimmings to shred.


Before the shredding started, I planned to trim the lilac bushes near the front of the property.  I had just started that trimming when my favorite ratchet pruners failed.  They were years old and had seen hours of service.


It was too late to visit the local garden center for replacements and still get any work done so I opted to use a pair of anvil pruners.  Anvil pruners are not my favorites as they are very sharp and will cut through anything.  A little while later I remembered why I rarely choose this type of pruner as I cut through a small branch and realized my hand was too close to the pruner.


There was blood everywhere.  The pruner cut a very deep L-shaped gash in my hand.  Beyond the loss of blood I was concerned I may have cut a tendon or caused nerve damage.  Fortunately, first-aid training and experience with injuries helped me clean and close the wound.  I waslucky to not have any nerve or tendon damage.  I was even more lucky that the pruner hit my hand and not my finger.  The depth of wound on my finger would most likely have removed the finger.  I was lucky not safe this evening.

No comments: