Pages

Monday, July 26, 2021

6 May 2021 Visiting Owego

 We've visited Tioga County before but not since we have been geocaching.  Construction in Ithaca was horrible on my trip to Cortland.  I didn't feel like dealing with it on the way home.  Instead I headed south taking a different path to I86.

A little water always makes a visit better.



I missed the find near the first water while the second stop had no caches with just a pleasant view.  Like so many counties, Tioga has a geotour.  I don't have the time to stay in a county and hunt all the geotrail hides, but I did enjoy making a stop at this nice Newark Valley depot.


The cemetery overlooking Otswego was filled with old markers and offered a great view.  It also included a rare bonus these days of a benchmark with a view.  It was hard to miss this one.


What other town offers a map of town painted on a building at a major intersection?


My last stop was for a surreal multi at the courthouse.  I was lucky to grab a great parking spot and soon realized I was one of the first arrivals for a strange outdoor music event geared to a different political view than mine.  I stuck with it and found the information for the final of the multi and picked up a second benchmark on the way.  My search ended when I realized the final was right in the middle of the political gathering.  Getting in that crowd would not have ended well.




No comments: