Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

11 January 2009 Holden Cross Country










Hey wait, that's us on that sign! For a number of years, we have been shown in signs, maps, and brochures advertising cross-country skiing at Holden Arboretum. This year we are part of a series of lamppost hangings in the drive. It's kind of funny. We almost look like we know what we're doing. :-)

Each year, I want to still be able to do what I did last year. As the years pass, I get a little concerned that some day I may not be doing things I enjoy. Unfortunately, I can remember the last day I walked off the field at the end of a baseball game. I can also remember the last day I played basketball. Neither are happy thoughts. I wish I could still do both.

In 2008, our best hiking day was almost 16 miles. Not quite up to the standard of 2007 when I made over 20 miles during a day in New Zealand, but it was still favorable to other years. Last year, I was disappointed that we never got our standard long bike ride completed. We also did very little cross-country skiing with my travel and erratic snow. Today, we got to ski what for us is the grand ski. It was a piece of cake. A happy, glorious trip through the beauty of Holden. We did it! I wasn't tired. I didn't fall. I even got to take these pictures. Mostly, I can still do it and have fun!

It really didn't seem as grey as these pictures seem to make it. The trees were grand. It's going to stay cold. Maybe there will be time for an after work ski on Tuesday. If we can get more skiing in, the grand bike ride to Tidioute will be a lot easier.

1 comment:

stathis said...

where is this place?