Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

16 January 2009 Torturing Data




A colleague once told me, "If you torture data long enough it will confess to anything." During the cold spell, the local paper presented this as data.




I thought, hmmm... could this be real? Does it show a warming trend? It is thirty years of data. Well, I'm a statistical geek, it's cold out, and the days are short, so why not plot a few more years. Here's what they look like.




It looked so cool until it got a few more years. The last thirty years really said it's warmer. Not so when an additional 35 years are tossed in. The stretch from 1952-1956 with only one day of zero was really interesting. Why did I stop at 1944? I got bored.


I did find the distribution by month interesting, and scary. I was hoping we were near the end of the cold stuff.

No comments: