Pages

Friday, August 21, 2015

7 May 2015 Wooden Trestle and Daniel Boone's Parents

I was caching my way to an overnight stay in Wytheville,Virginia. I stopped for my first cache along the South Yadkin River. It was a great choice since the boat launch was near a train line with a really impressive wooden trestle bridge.

It was truly impressive. I really wanted to go under for more images, but it was clearly marked no trespassing so I was content to admire it from behind the signs.

The South Yadkin is muddy and my brain constantly plays music so I was visited by the earworm for Ode to Billie Joe.

Ode to Billie Joe.... Bobbie Gentry

And then she said, "I got some news this mornin' from Choctaw Ridge
Today, Billy Joe MacAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge"

And me - I spend a lot of time pickin' flowers up on Choctaw Ridge
And drop them into the muddy water off the Tallahatchie Bridge

The trestle bridge and the muddy South Yadkin seemed an appropriate place for this earworm. I remember my brother had the 45 when I was really young.

With a couple of not so memorable stops in between, I made my way to a cemetery where the parents of Daniel Boone are buried. Besides the Boones, there is a wealth of history at the small, old cemetery.

Squire and Sarah Morgan Boone

Revolutionary War Captain Basil Gaither

Unique marker

No comments: