Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

20 June 2018 Antoine Peak

I was near Antoine Peak and decided to spend my last evening before travelling home at this park. Antoine Peak is hilly and always seems hotter than the other hiking options. That's a good combination for me. The trails were scenic this evening.

Sometimes I am still surprised about what can be found here. I have passed this spot on the trail many times and not seen any evidence of an old car here. There must be one nearby.

You'll never know what to expect or what you may find on one of Spokane's many trails. After the door art, I spotted a few flowers in bloom before getting serious about the trail.

I decided to head for a trio of geocaches including an APE cache tribute which was only a few days from one year since the last find.

The trio of caches wasn't going to happen. I chased after one only to find the trail no longer existed and was blocked by some blow-down. I backed my way out and went for the APE tribute. The views as I neared were very nice.

Once I got within about 800 feet all evidence of a trail disappeared. There was a little trace of a footpath leading down to the cache.

That faint path soon gave way to heavy, impenetrable growth

and a maze of downed limbs.

I eventually made the find, and started to make my way out of the growth and back.

Unfortunately, I had chewed up a lot of time on the hunt. I didn't need any reminders of the presence of cougars in this park, but spotted the remains of a deer to provide motivation to keep moving.

I made a spirited trip back and arrived at parking just as the last sun slipped away.

No comments: