Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2017

29 July 2017 Tubbs Hill

When I am in Spokane, I am very close to Idaho but rarely visit. By the time my work day ends, driving to another state is too much effort. With a weekend over in Washington, I decided to spend my Saturday at Tubbs Hill in Coeur d'Alene. The area is adjacent to Lake Coeur d'Alene and very popular for visitors. Fortunately most people don't walk very far and few ever leave the water's edge so my journey quickly became a solitary one. The lake is very scenic and a large attraction to the growing population in Coeur d'Alene.

While I was visiting the smoke was still limited to smaller fires. The big burns and warnings to not go outdoors were still to come.

I have been unable to identify this bird.

It was time to leave the water and start to climb.

I quickly encountered a very unhappy pair of breeding ospreys. Eagles are much more reserved when on nest than ospreys. This pair was relentless in expressing their unhappiness at my presence on the trail. I stopped long enough to capture a few images before moving quickly on (and checking over my back).

There was one last look at the water before my rise continued and the water dropped away.

I found the cache at the peak of Tubbs Hill. It had been a long week with another one ahead. I headed back to Spokane with a few stops at parks along the Spokane River on the way.

No comments: