Pages

Monday, December 04, 2017

6 July 2017 Visiting Fox Island

Fort Wayne is one of the most mosquito-ridden areas where I have cached. The blood sucking monsters are large in number and have insatiable thirsts. On the backside of Eagle Marsh, Fox Island seems to be the epicenter of the mosquito population. I didn't want to travel far to cache and be outdoors and I knew Eagle Marsh was under water. I decided to take my chances at Fox Island.

The area away from the woods trails had some nice wildflowers.

The area just outside the trails has an interesting outdoor learning area with a small geogarden displaying a number of different rock types.

Fear yee, the mosquitoes who await beyond the sign.

The trail was dry this evening.

So was the area near my first stop for a cache.

6 July 2017

This location was quite different from my last attempt to reach this cache on June 30, 2015. That evening I just shook my head and left.

30 June 2015

Yes, the cache is near the birdbox.

I moved deeper into the woods to hunt one of the three remaining caches in the area. The cache is located on the remains of an old dune. It's an interesting area with dozens of spring wildflowers evident. They were past blooming, but there was evidence of the plants everywhere along the dune.

I made the find and was hoping for a last find of the evening on the back side of Eagle Marsh. I should have known the water height from last evening was going to make reaching the cache from this direction impossible on this evening.

I survived the mosquitoes and found a couple caches for the evening.

No comments: