Pages

Monday, January 09, 2017

19 August 2016 Chocolate Zucchini Bread

It's been five months since my commuting time doubled. I went from two peaceful thirty-minute rides along a river to two hour-long trips of congestion, construction, and slow drivers. For years, the short commute had somewhat offset the significant number of days I spend away from home. This hasn't been the happiest transition of my life.

My old office was at a run-down site, but offered a half-dozen places nearby where I could get a good lunch if I chose to venture out. My new office is wonderful, but I now consider myself lucky to have at least one choice for eating thanks to a newly opened restaurant that offers take-out in a portion which meets my rather modest appetite.

The area around the new office used to be dotted with farms. As we continue to destroy our farmland to build more homes and business parks, those farms have all but disappeared. I hoped to be able to locate one remaining hold-out where fresh corn might give me something to look forward to as a detour from my commute. I found that oasis this evening. The corn wasn't up to par, but the rest of the vegetables on offer were very tasty. The chocolate zucchini bread was just a pleasant topping.

No comments: