Pages

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

19 March 2009 Visiting Love Canal


Once houses



and Driveways



Now a place to play paintball





There's an earthcache now at Love Canal. I liked the simple, little cache the Barbershop Dru hid here many years ago. Most earthcaches are less about education and more about taking a picture at the site so they are my least favorite type of cache, but it is always eye-opening to visit Love Canal. Once I got to the site and realized the write-up was so long it had been truncated in my pda, I gave up the thought of a find and took a few pictures of the area.

The actual 'canal' is fenced now, but the starkness of the surrounding area is always shocking no matter how many times I have been here. The old sidewalks and driveway aprons are a stark reminder of the people that lived here when there was no knowledge of what lurked below. I am always taken back by the site of a few remaining houses on the fringe of the area. It is scary to see a fresh tire set up as a child's swing in a yard near the site. It is even scarier to think that the local kids have decided this wasteland is a good place to play paintball.

I kept my photos away from homes. I'm sure the residents have had enough photos taken to document their lives.

No comments: