Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

22 January 2014 Fog Ice

I learned a new term on this Spokane trip, fog ice. The person at the rental counter recognizes me by name because I travel here so often. The evening before, he had suggested I upgrade to a sport ute because there was fog ice in the area each evening. At 11 in the evening the ice had not yet formed. I sampled the fog ice on leaving my hotel this morning and when trying to take a brisk, morning walk along the Centennial Trail. With high humidity, night lows in the upper 20's, and day highs in the mid 30's, the weather was perfect for fog ice. The fog arrived in the evening and turned to a thin layer of ice on every exposed surface as the temperature dropped. By nine or ten the next morning it was gone. I gave up on the walk.

No comments: