Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

30 January 2015 A Short Stop in Detroit

Airport beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me Detroit International sets the pace as the least friendly of the many airports I visit. Its long corridors of glass and metal are broken only by the recessed gate caves packed with chairs that appear to have been recreated from a 1950's bus terminal photo. Packed with uncomfortable chairs and zero tools for the business traveler, the best comfort the gate areas provide is the view of the jet in the gate to take me away. The blue neo they appear to use to break up the glass and metal is just visually jarring.

While most airports have added a multitude of food and retail choices to feed the unending appetite of visitors, Detroit's airport is a minimalist study in retail. If you needed food here, you might be in trouble. This morning, the choices were Wendy's and Einstein Bros. With a line at least three dozen long at the Einstein Bros stand, I passed on my standard plain bagel and opted for food when I reached my hometown.

The first few warm days of January were well in the past as the western end of Lake Erie was covered by a cracked blanket of ice.

Brrrrr, it looks so cold as the plane banks for its final approach into Cleveland.

No comments: