Pages

Friday, March 30, 2018

10 October 2017 Liberty Lake

It was a perfect fall evening for a visit to Liberty Lake. My first visit to this scenic park was in Late July. At that time parking areas and trails were closed with fire warnings. I was here the evening prior for a very short visit and had confirmed the trails were now all open. The image below was taken near my first cache hunt. The image looks serene and dry. The first cache was just beyond the tree on the far right. About the same distance as the rock in the image. Unfortunately, the ground was wetlands and still very wet despite the lack of rain. I found out when I went in to my waist. I quickly scrambled back to shore, but was soaked. By some amazing luck the electronics all survived.

A normal person may have decided to call it an evening. I'm not that person. I regrouped and decided to head into the woods for a few woods caches.

It was a good hide in a smaller rock formation. Now it was decision time. Did I continue on with the woods trail or walk back and look for a drier path to the other side of the wetlands and more caches? My boots were wet. My pants were wet. Other things were wet. I might as well give a second shot to crossing over.

This trail was much drier with only occasional wet areas. My boots did get any wetter (or any drier for that matter).

There was a wide stream to cross on the other side, but my boots were already wet. ;)

The finds were fun and easy, but the sun sets early in Spokane so it was soon time to make my way back across. By the time I reached the other shore, the sun was nearly set.

I took one final walk to the end of a viewing platform.

There was no way these boots were going to dry before my trip home. I was just hoping to drive off some water to reduce my checked bag weight.

No comments: