Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2021

20 September 2020 Blandy to Shenandoah

Today started off much like our visit last year.  We checked out of the hotel in Winchester with a planned stop at Blandy Farm.  Thankfully, unlike last year I did not develop a severe fever on the way to Shenandoah. 

It wasn't windy today.  Those trees have been permanently bent by winds over the years.

It was a day for yellow wildflowers at Blandy.






There's a spring in the area.  We ran into another couple near here who were also geocachers.  We were masked and spent time socially distanced and talking geocaching.  I was so busy taking images of gold finches and turtles that I missed a wonderful green heron.  It was only on looking at the images that I realized I almost captured the full image of the heron.



Only in a pandemic would we be heading to Shenandoah with paper products.  Our planning was a good idea as the National Park Service provided no services during our stay rather than the reduced services they noted.  The reflection of my hands while holding the camera created the unplanned effect of appearing to give me super large hands.


We were here in time for a walk to Miller's Head for our favorite sunset.  We've spent many evenings here over the years.  Last year, I was terrified of make the walk back in the dark in poor physical health.  This evening, I was happy for the journey.  We were joined at the overlook by three other park guests.  We were all wearing masks and enjoyed a quiet sunset while socially distanced.  It was wonderful to spend time with others even at a distance.  It was great fun watching one of the group. Her happiness and excitement were contagious.  It was a rewarding evening in such a stressful year.




No comments: