Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2008

10 August 2008 Pokagon State Park









We spent the day with Liz and Wes at Pokagon State Park. It basically covered everyone's desires. It has a ton of regular-sized caches so I was happy. It has four earthcaches so Liz and Wes were happy. It has a lot of trails to walk so Ali and I were happy.

I wasn't certain what to expect at an Indiana State Park. The northern part of the state is so flat that I almost expected the same at the park. I was really surprised and happy. There are three kettle lakes at Pokagon. The large lake at Pokagon is a kettle, but it is heavily developed so the lake has lost most of its features. The smaller lake is much closer to a bog and completely undeveloped. Access is with a small boardwalk and platform. The lake has some tamarack and is quite scenic. The park also boasts the highest point in the county and some nice hiking to reach it.

Pokagon also has the biggest tobaggon run I have ever seen. It is huge. It looks like a lot of fun. The web site says 35-40 miles per hour. I believe it.

After the earthcaches and a multi, we grabbed lunch with Liz and Wes so they could start their journey back to PA. We went out for a few more caches and were able to stop by the nature center to find a tribute cache for our friend Eric Sherwood. Ali had a long drive home. My day ended back in Fort Wayne with a few more travel days left.

No comments: