Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

6 August 2008 Kentucky











I really thought about taking my staff geocaching for our recreation activity during our meeting. Instead, one of the local staff offered to arrange a VIP day at Ellis Park to watch horse racing. This was an experience for me. I almost never gamble and have never put money on ponies except for a few amish harness races at the Columbiana County Fair.

The afternoon was interesting. I only bet on about half the races, but my horse won one. With the win, my losses were really tiny (about $5). It didn't really do anything for me. I'd much rather watch draft horses in the horse pull at the local county fair. I have forgotten how unpleasant it is to be indoors with a bunch of smokers. I left prior to the last race with a huge headache and most of my money.

I was intent on caching Kentucky since I was in the state. There is a state park very near the race track. I got a few caches, but was completely turned off by the near complete use of micros. The state park was all micros with one small. A nearby local park was almost all micros. I finally found a regular cache (and had a good time) in a park along the Ohio River. The huge train trestle was impressive, and the river was peaceful at sunset.

No comments: