Pages

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

28 September 2008 Edison Woods











We were in town and Goat Haunt had a free weekend so we went west to cache. Our main stop for the day was Edison Woods. Ali and Goat Haunt had been here before, but this was my first visit. The park sits on land that was slated to become a nuclear power plant about 30 years ago. The power plant didn't work out so the land was purchased and converted into this park. There has been a lot of restoration work completed to remove the land features from farming and return the original drainage system. It was a good place for us to spend the day, in the woods with plenty of walking.

At one point I realized that I had grabbed the ink pad and stamp from a letterbox by mistake. I ran back to the cache to return the items. My path took my on a trail called the border trail which put me by the prairie field the park is attempting to re-establish. They seem to be making progress. The remaining flowers were past their prime, but were evidence that some of the prairie growth has returned. Even more pleasing was the remains of prairie dock that had flowered.

We finished our day at the Augusta Olsen Nature Preserve. I was here late last fall. It was a first visit for Goat Haunt. We found the largest puffball mushroom we have ever seen. I wasn't aware they are edible, but I'll leave that to the experts. After a lot of walking, it was nice to find that Avon Lake still had an open ice cream parlor.

No comments: