Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

17 August 2007 America's Fair









I am always ready for a trip to the fair, and I had never been to the Erie County Fair, so when Gryff said let's go to the fair, I was ready. It was a perfect day for a walk at the fair. We enjoyed the sights, the sounds, the smells. I missed the demonstration for bathing your chicken (would I make this up?), but we got to hear the first sheep ever with a cigarette voice. I have no idea where that sheep hangs out or how much it drinks, but it really needs to give up the bar scene. :-) I tried to get a photo of it bleeting (wish I had sound - it was incredible), but everytime it got bleeting there was too much movement to grab an image without the flash. The kids are trying to do well so I didn't want to distract the animal by using the flash. Every fair has its own subtle differences. At this one there were no collars on the sheep. It made for some interesting chases when the spirited ones decided to rebel.

We visited the chickens, rabbits, sheep, pigs, horses, and goats (the goats were arrogant). We even saw reindeer. I think the elves are on seven day shifts now so they couldn't make it. The old tractor display was really good. I saw three I have not seen before and got to see one operating. There were also a couple old steam engines on display. I chickened out and didn't try any food. Too much risk.

The midway here is really large. They seem to have two of many rides. "America's Fair" seems a little pretentious, but for this afternoon it worked for me.

No comments: